Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Dont Ever Want The United States Government To Abuse Us Again

On February 9, 2010 Elouise Cobell gives a lecture in the Seminole Tribe of Florida auditorium in Hollywood, FL.

Elouise Cobell walks up, stands right next to me while the food is being blessed. I can feel her arm against mine. At that very moment, in my prayer I’m thanking the Lord that I can be side by side to one of Indian Country’s most badass historical figures. This Native woman, a living legend. Revered in my mind since I first heard her name 15 years ago.

These are her reflections.

She says ‘I began looking at statements that dont look right and asking questions, pushing Congress for an appointment. The case started in the George Bush Sr. administraion, they wouldnt talk. We were happy to deal with the Clinton Administration – nothing.’

‘I continued to stay in the face of the United States government.’ On the day of the filing in the Lincoln Memorial ‘I thought ‘oh my god’ Im suing the United States government. I had goosebumps. I dont think I can. So I called a friend who said ‘If you dont, who will?’

‘It meant a lot to have the support of the tribes and individual indians. There was a unity’. I thought ‘ We will come back to be the powerful people that we were at one time.’

On the day of settlement, Secret Service comes in buzzing around the room then Ken Salazar walks in. He sits directly across from me and asks ‘Who are you that you can shut down the entire United States government?’

‘I dont ever want the United States government to abuse us again’. – Elouise Cobell